The client was building a Risk & Security Management solution for several sovereign governments. It will allow the government departments to identify, monitor and manage visitors / travelers as a part of Immigration & Border control. IGT scope of work included product engineering services, enterprise system integration, and operational rollouts at customer locations.
Share this Post
About the Client
The client is a global communication information technology provider with 90 products and 2000 global customers Its end customers include 400 international airlines, 1000 airports and multiple sovereign governments.
The client was building a Risk & Security Management solution for several sovereign governments. It was a large enterprise solution that involved global implementation, departmental customizations, and multiple integrations. There were major hurdles in the delivery of the solution:
- 25% schedule compression due to business mandates
- Legacy software system not scalable and re architecture was must
- 100+ integrations at the customer location
- Engineering teams have to be stationed across Europe, Asia, and Australia
The Border Control solution will allow the various government departments to identify, monitor and manage visitors / travellers as a part of Immigration & Border control. The system should:
- integrate with multiple globally distributed data providers & systems of record.
- refresh real time for effective decision making.
- deploy customised version for multiple departments, across geographically distributed sites, which need to be in real time sync.
- be built leveraging agile methodology to provide clear insights to business.
- provide real time intelligence by modernizing data architecture and infrastructure requirement to roll out a re architected core product, leveraging service oriented architecture.
- deliver integrated solution to customer with various components built by engineering teams distributed cross Europe, Asia & Australia at end customer location.
The client selected IGT as it program partner to deliver the solution to the end customer. IGT scope included product engineering services, enterprise system integration, and operational rollouts at customer locations. IGT leveraged its extensive domain and technology expertise, and enterprise project & program management experience to collaborate with client & end customer teams to successfully deliver the solution.
The solution included a custom Scaled Agile program delivery model best fitted to address the challenges and the specific business needs. The elements of the solution included:
- Forming a large globally distributed cross function agile team of experts.
- The team included Project Managers, Architects, Product Owners, Business Analysts, Developers, DevOps Specialists, Quality Assurance Specialists, System Integration & Operations specialists.
- Teams distributed between end customer location and various global locations.
- Designed a program delivery model leveraging Scaled Agile principles with 20+ Agile Release Trains delivering in cadence various covering product definition / backlog refinement, software engineering / development, enterprise system integration & operational rollouts / customer acceptance.
- Created and implemented measurable metrics and KPIs across various streams to accurately assess and improve delivery performances across agile teams.
- Software engineering development done using tailored Agile Scrum framework to provide clear insights to business.
- Enterprise system integration done leveraging a mix of Agile & V Model best practices.
- To manage the project schedule compression (25%), leveraged multi geography distributed model for Continuous Integration & Continuous Delivery extending overall productive sprints.
- System components built & integrated by engineering teams distributed cross Europe, Asia & Australia leveraging time zone advantages.
- Program level cross functional team co located with end customer for requirement & deliverable sign offs.
- Sustained average productivity between 29 to 31 work hours per function points (Mark II Adjusted Function Points) delivered across the agile teams (for full SDLC load).
- 30% cost savings leveraging customized delivery
- 1 million+ travelers benefited by modernized Border Control solution’
- 100+ globally distributed internal & external systems integrated over enterprise service bus
- 75% reduction release deployment and handover time leveraging automation & continuous monitoring
- Real time sync across multi site globally integrated system
Tools & Technologies
MS Project, JIRA, HP ALM Quality Centre, ServiceNow Mix of Collaboration tools like Skype / Teams / Webex , Klocwork , SonarQube , Blackduck , JMeter , Loadrunner , JMeter , Web Inspect, QTP, Selenium, Ansible , Jenkins, MS .Net platform, Open Source Development, Java Platform, Oracle & IBM middle ware, data storage & real time synch solutions, MS Office, RedHat & Microsoft Operating Systems