If there’s one thing that is growing faster than the speed of travel, it’s the assimilation of ‘real-time’ data via IoT collected during every journey and every touch point. Like with other verticals, ‘seamless connectivity via digital’ has become a critical part and influencer of Travel, creating access to information, introducing automated systems and enabling new ways of communications and customer service. The impact of this development has been felt keenly by automation.
While a majority of BPM relationships continue to thrive on the base concept of ‘price’ advantage with a third party v/s performing transactions in house, in reality, the business itself has been adapting rapidly to digital, increasing the need for voice and data convergence. There are three key drivers of this evolution – changing markets, technology and customer needs.
Take for example, Retail companies operating in the logistics space, who with the advent of digital, are moving online, eliminating traditional providers! But even as the world is embracing digital many BPM players still have an umbilical connection to the ANALOG- move the businesses ‘AS IS’ – and take advantage of labor costs.
Currently, Gartner estimates state that 75% of the total market in 2014 was made up of voice-based services, while the other 25% was made up of non-voice services. But this is fast transforming.
The level of change means BPM providers have to provide integrated IT-BPM services which include a combination of digital, voice, automation and analytics:
- Create a unified, seamless view of the customer & integrated multi-channel delivery
- Profile an and personalize customer journeys
- Analyze and align customer touch points with services
As digital platforms and connectivity rises, so will BPM’s offerings. Imagine this. The entire volume of data produced since the start of history up until 2002 is now produced every 10 minutes. In 5 years, that same volume will take a fraction of a second. This lends greatly to the rise of automation that is slowly becoming BPM’s biggest game changer.
Rise of Automation in BPM
According to Gartner Inc., 6.4 billion connected things will be in use worldwide in 2016, up 30 percent from 2015, and will reach 20.8 billion by 2020. In 2016, 5.5 million new things will get connected every day. In such times, there will be far too many interactions to be handled solely by humans.
Innovation and digital transformations are possible in an environment where the engagement model looks beyond the Service Level Agreements (SLAs), contractual terms and basic operations. Focus on Automation and Analytics can provide enhanced value for client operations and can generate enough benefits to move business performance to the next level. Incorporating automation can cut through complexity to deliver simple, transparent, and timely decisions.
In travel space- Digital Automation tools can help reduce human errors in data entry processes like fare filing and queues processing. Machines will not replace the human workforce, but simply be used to systematically process large volumes of information to derive informed decisions in real time. This results in further standardization of efforts, enhanced analytics and embracing mobility for growth. The operations team now has more time to focus on value-enhancing aspects of the business. This in turn can fast forward the industry towards ‘Outcome Based’ commercial and business models.
More and more clarity is now emerging on concepts like BPaas v/s Platform Based BPM services. BPaas can be leveraged to work with multiple clients with similar business needs. FTE based pricing models can now be converted into per transaction based variable cost models that provide value to multiple clients and scale to service provider. BPM will create integrated voice and non-voice solutions that include digital, analytics, business rule management and collaboration.
Businesses are looking to BPM as they seek new ways to engage with their customers, but without digital or automation in the picture, service providers will find themselves in a corner. Service providers that delve at a foundational level with their clients on these buzz areas with an OUTCOME based approach will eventually turn out winners! Customer service is entering a new era and by that count BPM is evolving not only its offerings but the environments where it is applied.
Automation, data, collaboration & process will drive innovation and traveller centricity.
About the Author:
Raja Jain is a business leader, entrepreneur, mentor, friend, parent, husband, traveller, reader & researcher (..not necessarily in this order). As Vice President for US and Canada markets, Raja leads Sales & Account Management initiatives for IGT.Raja brings a rich experience of over 20 years with Travel and Outsourcing industry with companies like Carlson Wagonlit, American Express, Makemytrip.com, Ebookers and EXL Service.